Military Records

Military Records
The Recorder's Office has on permanent record, military discharges that have been presented for recording by the veterans, themselves. There is no charge to record, or obtain a certified copy of a military record.

Military Records are now closed pursuant to the Code of Iowa 331.608(6). Consequently, in order to obtain records, veterans and next-of-kin (next-of-kin are the unremarried widow or widower, son or daughter, father or mother, brother or sister of the deceased veteran) will need proof of relationship.

Having trouble locating your record?

Iowa Veterans may check with the County Recorder in the county of their residence at the time of their discharge to see if they possibly recorded their discharge in that county.

- Or -

Visit with the Veteran's Affair Officer in your county. 


For all Military records not recorded in Calhoun County, you may request a copy by using the form provided below, and mailing to:

National Personnel Records Center
(Military Personnel Records)
9700 Page Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
(314) 801-0800